Ahhh! I’m not done yet, but I’m so tired.
It’s 3 am, and I work a double tomorrow, so this is all you get.
Maybe in part 2 I’ll actually talk about evolution? That’s where it gets good.
Anyway, I said I'd talk more about evolution.
First, let me say that I realize I don’t have the most unbiased approach to the theory. I was raised in a Christian family--a very Christian family--and I’ve always believed in a quite literal interpretation of Genesis 1 as the origin of life on earth. I know the Bible is true, and therefore anything that contradicts it is false. That’s just the way I see it. Trying to convince me otherwise is utterly pointless. Really, I’ve never given evolution a chance, and I never will. When I listen to someone preach the theory, I don’t listen to determine if they’re right, I listen to determine how they’re wrong.
That said, I have listened.
You could argue that I’ve been programmed, but that is simply not the case. I know exactly what I believe, and I know exactly why. The Bible makes sense to me, and it’s the only thing that does.
I know more about evolution, and the “evidence” of it than at least 90% of the people who accept it as fact, and I’m not convinced. I’m not even impressed.
It’s a complete failure; it doesn’t even answer that many questions. It just pushes them back a few million years, so that they’re too dizzying to contemplate.
Not to mention all the questions it raises...
....Actually, I think I will mention a few.
Now the title says “evolution”, but I’m going to go ahead and throw the Big Bang theory in with it. Both present an alternative “answer” to intelligent design. We’ll call it the “No God Theory”.
Let’s just take a look at that theory. Ok, Wikipedia. Tell us where all this came from.
“The Big Bang theory is the prevailing cosmological model that describes the early development of the Universe. According to the theory, the Big Bang occurred approximately 13.798 ± 0.037 billion years ago, which is thus considered the age of the universe...”
Wait a minute. So I ask where it all came from, and your answer is “The middle”?!? What exploded? Ok, that sounds like a cheap shot. Here I am, picking on them for actually doing science. The Universe does appear to be expanding from a central point. That number comes from a lot of observation and math, as well as assumptions. For all I know, it could be correct.
Here’s my question: What started it? What caused the Big Bang?
Eternity, like infinity, is something that the human mind simply cannot fathom.
What troubles the mind even more? Nothing. That’s right. Just try to imagine nothing for a second. When you try to look for an answer to the origin of the universe, you are faced with a choice. Either something was always there, or there was a time when there was nothing.
What will it be?
Either way, there are no answers in the Big Bang. If all of the universe’s substance always existed, then what caused it to begin expanding 14 billion years ago? What changed? HOW COULD ANYTHING CHANGE?!?! And if it all just came out of nothing....
It’s obvious that force exists outside of time that we cannot understand. So far, the difference in our opinions is that I believe he has a conscious mind.
“After this time, the Universe was in an extremely hot and dense state and began expanding rapidly. After the initial expansion, the Universe cooled sufficiently to allow energy to be converted into various subatomic particles, including protons, neutrons, and electrons. Though simple atomic nuclei could have formed quickly, thousands of years were needed before the appearance of the first electrically neutral atoms. The first element produced was hydrogen, along with traces of helium and lithium. Giant clouds of these primordial elements later coalesced through gravity to form stars and galaxies, and the heavier elements were synthesized either within stars or during supernovae.”
Um. Sure. I mean, that has to be it, right? When you cool universe juice down, it turns into protons. Cool. Oh? Neutrons too? You’re right. They definitely wouldn’t all become the same kind of particle just because they came from the same kind of energy. Things get more orderly and complicated when you throw them around and knock them against each other, right?
I’ll be honest. I have no idea what I’m saying. I’m sure people put their life’s work into that paragraph; trying to figure out how something more complex than we can understand comes from something simpler than we can understand. But that’s just what they were doing: trying to find a way to make the theory work. That’s what they’ve been doing all along. Instead of looking for an answer to match the facts, they search for the facts to match their answer.
I look around the universe, and all I see are things breaking into smaller and smaller pieces.
Celestial bodies collide, shattering entire solar systems; black holes tear reality itself--destruction. Since when does random chance put things together? Or, when did it stop? So there’s a force that causes these random happenings to stop when they find something that works? Does that make sense to you? I don’t get it.
I don’t know how much you know about atomic substructure. I can’t say I know very much myself. I do know this: an atom, even a lowly hydrogen atom, is no simple thing. A proton is a composite in itself, made from smaller particles of an unknown number and variety. As small as the universe is big, for all we know, an atom could hold its own universe, in constant, furious motion. It blows the mind. One atom. And not only are we to believe that this occurred by chance but that it occurred at least 1078 times.
!!!
That’s a lot. That’s a whole stinking lot.
That’s an unbelievable amount of order from chaos.
...Well, unbelievable for me. I just don't have that much faith is the power of chance.
The way I've always seen the Big Bang, and how I've always gotten the Big Bang to make sense to me in the belief of creationism is that God made a universe where things happen only if energy is involved, no matter how small the amount.
ReplyDeleteI believe that there may have been a lot of hot, dense junk just lying around in the universe, spinning and pretty much doing nothing. Kind of like a newly made Pangaea for the universe. Now, God wanted things cleaned up.
So he announced that there would be light. And so on and so forth. With every part he made into existence, it took energy. Now, you said that there's a lot of universe to have been made. Exactly. That means that it took a lot of energy. And I don't think the universe was exactly slow to react when God Almighty told it what to do. I believe it reacted very quickly.
You know, kind of really quick. Like a gigantic Big Bang.
That's just how I've always seen it... It's how it's always made sense to me...
I'd be inclined to agree. It's this part about the elements synthesizing from random chance that doesn't make sense. There was certainly a great deal of energy released at creation, but it was creative force powered by God's words. Not just....energy. Planets and stars didn't just clump together and come alive. There might have been a big bang, but THE Big Bang? Nope.
ReplyDeleteI was referred to your blog by a friend, and have just a few questions I would like to get your thoughts on. You seem to be equating evolution with a Godless notion of the universe. This is not necessarily the case. Over 60% of the world’s Catholics accept evolution, as do half of the world’s Protestants, and most if not all of these claim to believe the Bible as well. They merely interpret the Creation in a non-literal sense. As a Catholic evolutionist and former creationist, I certainly feel I believe in the Bible. A literal interpretation of Creation brings its own challenges. How can we define the days of Creation as strict, 24 hour days if the sun was not created until the fourth day? We know through the theory of general relativity that time is relative to gravitational fields, so from which perspective are we measuring these days? Also, how do we deal with the background radiation in the universe, which provides solid support for the predicted age of the universe and the big bang? As a Christian, I absolutely believe that God guided the process, not random chance. In your view, is this still incompatible with Christianity?
ReplyDeleteC.E.
I'm not going to reply to your whole comment, but I have been taught about a theory called the day-age theory, in which the days were not actually days, but much longer periods of time.(I myself do not believe this) and as for the sun on the fourth day part, If we agree on God being an All powerful, All knowing God, why should we have a problem with God 'Powering' plants himself for a few days? and I also learned of some other theories, but I do not have time. I myself believe in a literal interperatation, and I was taught about several different veiws, so I understand where you are coming from. (quick side note- Charles Darwin himself said that his theory was full of holes. He also said something along the lines of "the only reason my theory is so popular is that if people believed there was a God, they would have to do what he says. Not saying you don't, but if darwin did not even think his own theory worked, why should we?) maybe you have an answer for this, Anonymous, if so i'm interested in listening.
DeleteThank you for your question!
DeleteI'm not sure what you mean by "incompatible with Christianity". I'd like to clarify that I do not believe one's salvation is in any way dependent on their knowledge or beliefs concerning God's method of creation. Anyone who will confess and believe that Jesus is the son of God, and accept him as their master and savior is a Christian.
As you said, many Christians accept the theory of evolution, and l'm not implying that they're any less saved than I am because I don't.
That said, I can't reconcile evolution with the creation account. Nor do I see why I should try.
If we are to believe that the "days" of creation we not 24 hour days, but in fact much longer periods in which God guided the evolutionary process, doesn't that make the late coming of the sun an even greater issue? Flowering plants would have to survive for millennia without their pollinating insects. Possible, certainly, for an all powerful creator, but no more so than a week of 24 hour days.
Genesis 1 seems to me to be written from a human perspective, from inside earth's atmosphere, as if from a divine vision. (Purely my opinion) I believe the writer of Genesis expressed exactly what he saw in the best way he knew. We can guess at the implications, but I see no reason to doubt what he describes.
As for the apparent age of the universe, the only clue the Bible gives us is in the genealogies of man. Which looks to point somewhere around 6000-10,000 years as the age of the earth, which is good enough for me.
Dating methods are fundamentally flawed in a very simple way: They assume.
For example,if you were able to observe a train traveling along a track, and you knew its place of origin, you could measure its speed and the distance traveled and extrapolate a rough time of departure. If you were very thorough, you might calculate its weight, and the power of its engines, and work out a more precise number accounting for acceleration. You could even account for wear and tear on the train's moving parts affecting its performance. All this by studying the train itself.
But...
How could you know that when the train left, it had twice as many cars, and that it stopped along the way to shed them, becoming lighter and faster?
How could you know that it was delayed for two hours by a stubborn herd of cattle?
You could ask the engineer.
I have no reason concede to a theory invented to challenge my faith. I believe many have because it was presented as an indisputable truth, which it certainly isn't. In part two, (Which I'm working on right now) I'll discuss the issues I find with biological evolution and how I think it contradicts the Bible.
If you're not convinced, you are welcome to share your opinion. That's all I'm doing.
Thank you for the intelligent, well-constructed reply. Rather than be a typical internet troll and continue to debate, I would just like to offer the few following thoughts. First, I am very glad to hear you still see us as brothers in Christ. Secondly, it may be to your advantage in the future not to assume that evolutionists are seeking to displace God. Darwin himself remained a theist, and there are many today who simply view evolution as the best way to explain the world around them, and have no animosity towards religion. Third and lastly, in your arguments against evolution, be very careful to avoid straw man arguments and misquotations of evolutionists. It is easy to take the most strained and ridiculous version of evolution and paint it as absurd, and while this may win you points with Creationists, it will never convince a sincere evolutionist and will damage your credibility. Darwin and others wrote a great deal, and thus many Creationists, including the previous gentleman who left a comment on this thread, have been able to pluck language from various writings to misrepresent their thoughts. Informed evolutionists can spot this in a second however, call you out on it, and ruin your argument and credibility.
ReplyDeleteAll that said, I appreciate your well written blog, and your courage to deal with this topic. I’ve enjoyed the discourse.
All the best,
C.E.