Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Challenge: Fail.

WAAAAHHHHH!!!!! Why did I do this?!? And then why did I not do it? And...and...oh dear. As I type this sentence, it is 11:38 pm Monday night, and I have absolutely no idea where I’m going with this story.
A word of caution: what are about to read is very likely to be lame, as it was thrown together at the last minute with no inspiration.
Then again, that was kinda the point; this is an exercise.

I need a name...What was that name I thought of earlier? Eh, whatever.


…...............
 

It was bound to happen I guess.
Truth be told, I’d expected it sooner, but now, as I sat there in that room, as alone a man could be, I could only wish that I had more time.
Time to say goodbye, time to right my wrongs, time to spend in any of the numberless places I’d rather be at this moment; away for my responsibilty; from my call.
But my time was up.
One of the the two fluorescent tubes above my head was out. That was the only change since last time. Same bolted-down table and chairs, same cameras. The reinforced glass panel in the door was the only break from the gray walls and grey ceiling, and nothing ever happened on the other side.
I wished I could kill the genius who put that window there. The guy who built this whole, boring closet, and decided to force me to stare at the same boring part of it for eternity, a glimmer of freedom dangled just out of reach.
Leaving the light burnt out was a nice touch though, made the atmosphere just a little more depressing, and put off a vibe of neglect like they might forget you in there too, and let you starve to death. That’s the sort of thing that makes a good interrogation room, or in this case, a “waiting room”. The distinction coming from the handcuffs which had secured me to the table on my last visit.
I suppose that was different too.
She didn’t knock, but why should she? If there were a name on the building, it would be hers. She shut the door behind her, and took a seat in the chair across the table before speaking.
“Mr. Allen.”
I nodded. “Susie.”

…..................


Time out. It’s 12:41. What the heck? Those few paragraphs are all I have to show for an hour’s work? I’ve got to find another writing method... Anyway, onwards!

…................




Susan Keller would have been pretty if she didn’t spend so much time being the man. One whiff of her airs, and it was clear who wore the pantsuit in this corporation.



…...............



Wait...did I just make a pun in my narrative? Can I do that? “One whiff of her airs”? I don’t know why, but that makes perfect sense to me. Get it? ‘Airs’ like the way you hold yourself, like you’re more important than everybody, and ‘whiff’ like... Never mind. I like it.

I need to quit interrupting you here; you’re trying to read a story. (And I’m trying to write one.)

…............



Her shoes were tight, her hair was tight, and her manner was tight. Oh, and she hates it when you call her ‘Susie’. Predictable. 

“Do you know why you’re here?” She asked. Ms. Keller always had a file with her. Today’s, she placed on the table, turning it for my perspective.

“I hope not.” I said, even as her expression confirmed my fears. She said nothing, only pushing the folder towards me with her fingertips. I accepted it, refusing to allow my hand to tremble. The manila folder sat directly in front of me, unlabeled, save for the cliched ‘classified’ stamp. I pushed it away, unopened.
“How did she get out?”

….................


Yay vagueness! Maybe I can write a whole story without having a story!

Anyway, I’m sorry. I have to go to bed. I work in the morning, and it’s 2:39 now.

That’s right. Three hours, and not even a whole page. Maybe you’re starting to see my frustration. “What the heck?” you say. 3 hours?!? You must be the world’s slowest typist!
Well, maybe, but that’s not the problem. I’m thinking and overthinking, and pre-thinking, and rethinking. And re-writing. I really need to work on that. (Keep in mind that this is after editing. More editing than writing, I'd say.)

I’m going to try to have the whole story up by Thursday (Or on Thursday) Hopefully, all that extra thinking will give me a head start. Thanks for reading! Let me know what you think so far, (if there’s enough so far to think about.)

Yeah, I'm disappointed too.

3 comments:

  1. I like it. It definitely has my interest. And I can certainly sympathize with your struggle. I hope the rest goes more smoothly for you, but you're off to a promising start! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I severely miss this blog. Please come back, Andrew!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miss you, Andrew. See you at church sometimes, but you are too far away from us.
    Oh, and the comment about not caring what u have to say, is an untruth. I know we care...you are one of God's called!! For pity sake!
    Oh, we went to Olive Garden for lunch the other day, and we asked for you, but you were not working, :-(

    ReplyDelete